Today, I got to see displays of living people pretending to be mannequins. That is, today is a “Very Neenah Christmas.” Apparently what is ‘very Neenah’ is to be a mannequin: so fake, ostentatious, and oddly proportioned?
Who ever would have thought, that, when moving from a big city to a small city like Neenah, that I would have ended up more immersed in community events? It’s all location, location, location. See, I live right next to the Neenah Public Library, Arrowhead Park, City Hall, and, a block away, Main Street.
To date there’s been:
- Two Music Festivals (small)
- An Indian Intertribal Powwow
- Neenah/Fox Valley/Something Marathon (finished here)
- Weekly Farmer’s Markets with various themes
- High School’s Homecoming
- Halloween Bash (‘Boofest’)
- Neenah Christmas Festival (‘A Very Neenah Christmas’)
- Countless Library Events
Of course, as my friend Holly says, the reason these events seem to be surprisingly popular is because there’s nothing else to do around here. A good point, that.